sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Status of gcc 4.1

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Status of gcc 4.1
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:49:32 -0800

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 15:39 -0600, David Kowis wrote:
> Juuso Alasuutari wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 December 2006 21:26, Eric Sandall wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> We could have a box (or boxes) dedicated to running prometheus on all
> >> git commits against each spell modified. This, I think, would be a
> >> better approach than modifying Sorcery to do so (IMO Sorcery is the
> >> wrong tool for bug testing).
> >
> > I really like this idea. We talked about something like this with Arwed
> > when
> > he visited Finland a few months ago. Instant feedback from Prometheus
> > would
> > help harden our spells, as long as it wouldn't be used as an easy way to
> > avoid pre-commit testing (a valid concern).
> >

> Most git commits are version bumps, which developers should be testing
> anyway. So I'm not entirely sure how this would help. What would help
> more is a dedicated machine, or vm, with a fresh install on it, so when
> the spell is tested, it's against a clean install. This would ensure
> that the same environment is used for all testing. Even a chroot would
> probably work.

Which Prometheus is perfect for. After testing a spell it'll revert the
system back to how it was before that spell was cast. The version bump
testing is also important as features may change on a version bump, but
the developer most likely has not tested every combination of optional
dependencies and config_queries against the new version. Yes, we would
still need donations of boxes capable of providing this.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | SysAdmin @ Shock Physics @ WSU