sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Xen Kernels

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: David Brown <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Xen Kernels
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 20:29:22 -0600

David Brown wrote:
>> I updated them a while ago and they worked for me. not sure if the
>> organisation of xen vs. xen-kernels spells is still appropriate, but the
>> result worked for me with udev + coldplug.
>
> We can split it up even further though I have an example of a set of
> spells if people would like to try them, even though I couldn't get
> the documentation to work.
>
> scribe add xen-grimoire from
> git://dmlb2000.homelinux.org/xen-grimoire.git:xen-grimoire &&
> cast -r xen
>
> The setup is simple, there's really four components to the xen system:
> kernel(s) depending on how you look at it
> hypervisor to provide abstracted layer to the kernel
> tools to provide logging and managing of xen images
> docs to tell you how to do things
>
> So I split the package up into the four parts and made four spells
> (along with the subdepends of linux you can get the kernel from there
> if you like its optional).
> xen (profile spell)
> xen-tools (userspace stuff)
> xen-hyporvisor (don't need much to build this)
> xen-docs (which I can't get to work)
>
> Note: if you plan on using linux spell for handling the kernel just
> select the latest 2.6 kernel and exit, the sub-depends will take care
> of draging the appropriate patches into the spell. Its also important
> to cast -r xen so the linux configure menu will pop up.
>
> Along with a 'how-to' on the wiki I think we could get more people
> using xen with smgl.

Just FYI, xen 3.0.3 is radically different from 3.0.2. One of the tools
needs xorg or some xlibs to make it work. I haven't narrowed it down,
was just setting up xen for work. It may or may not still be feasable to
set it up as a spell...

--
David Kowis

ISO Team Lead - www.sourcemage.org
SourceMage GNU/Linux

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein