sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] website

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] website
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:32:43 -0500

On Oct 19, Mathieu L. [lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net] wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 09:31:55AM -0500, Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> > > Well, we could bring up the topic of moving away from drupal. I don't
> > > think it's turned out to be as useful as we'd thought. We could simply
> > > use the locking feature of MoinMoin and just use that as our site. It'd
> > > need to be cleaned up a bit, but that's possible.
> > > Also, some people actually do use those forum things. I don't know
> > > what's wrong with them either...
>
> I've seen a bit of zope/plone recently. If we have high acl and workflow
> requirements for all our publishing stuff, it could fit nicely but imho
> it would be overkill. But then I don't know what we need exactly...

Right now IMO we need something to host docs that is useful enough that
people actually do write docs. We need docs. Docs docs docs. I don't
know the history of the old wiki really but I know that as a new user it
was basically the stuff on that wiki that got me interested in SMGL. It
was an impressive site at the time compared to some alternatives. I do not
think we're in better or even as good of shape now as we were then.

We also apparently need some kind of forums for people. I'd probably
prefer to integrate that with sm-users so people can access it multiple
ways and get more integrated use out of it, so a ML to web forum gateway of
some kind would be ideal IMO.

> Jeremy, since you're already doing the admining for git, wouldn't you
> volonteer for the web part? As you said, not that you would have to
> worry about the content since you wouldn't be tome lead but we
> definitely need a web admin.

Well, I've obviously taken on at least de facto responsibility for the
system stuff. Originally I picked that up because there was a hole and I'm
APL so it's my job to get it filled. I've kept doing it largely for
practical concerns to protect my investment in the server but also because
I enjoy it and over time it made sense to get it away from the Tome Lead so
he could focus on *DOCS*. I have at times considered proposing an official
infrastructure team to manage this but haven't yet for various reasons.

Anyway, my position has been that I'll take primary resonsibility for the
server(s) and software we run to support the project, but that doesn't mean
I run it all myself. I delegate as much as I can (day-to-day git is back
in the hands of the component leads). In the case of Drupal I see it as my
responsibility to make sure it's maintained by someone (both as APL and to
protect the server) but I don't think I can commit time to managing it all
myself, it's too big and I have no experience with it. If we wanted to
evaluate other packages more formally (like we did with SCM) I'd be able to
help with that and depending on the results could consider a more active
role in the day-to-day. I am a very practical person. :-)