sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL migration form 32b to 64b

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: johnc AT neto.com
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, dgoller AT satx.rr.com, seth AT swoolley.homeip.ne, Lubomir Blaha <tritol AT trilogic.cz>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL migration form 32b to 64b
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 15:18:32 -0500

On Friday 01 September 2006 15:35, dgoller AT satx.rr.com wrote:
> [...]

Guys,
I am attempting a conversion myself, and am understandingly interested.
Couple of questions if I may.

Seth,
Let me see if I follow you.
1) Install into a partition I can chroot into. OK. Is this to be a
temporary
install only to chroot into and build a pure 64bit kernel?
2) Copy kernel into my /boot so I can boot into the 64/32 bit kernel. Are
you
saying that I can boot into the 64/32 bit kernel using my 32bit "root
partition", and then can chroot into the install partition from step 1)
above?
3) If the answer is yes to above I can now build a pure 64bit kernel
4) Since the first install was temporary I install the iso again to a
permanant partition which will be a pure 64bit bootstrap system. Is sorcery
and a codex installed?

Daniel,
You say do what Seth recommends but start from the distribution:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/sourcemage/mirror/smgl-x86_64.tar.bz2.

That distribution doesn't applear to have a kernel. Are you saying to use
the
iso for steps 1,2,3) above and the distribution for step 4) to get a
bootstrap system?

Thanks,
John