sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] git and usability

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] git and usability
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:38:31 -0700

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 04:33:27PM +0200, Ladislav Hagara wrote:
> Thanks.
> Seems I still have some problems.
> I will try tomorrow.
>
> $ git diff
> $ git checkout -f
> $ git reset --hard
> $ git branch
> devel
> master
> origin
> stable-0.3
> * stable-rc-0.4
> $ git checkout master
> fatal: Untracked working tree file '.gitignore' would be overwritten by
> merge.

These are exactly the kind of messages I was getting.
What version of git are you on? git 1.4.1 might be better.
(If this is the same version you are using then I guess
the version of git didn't matter).

To be honest, git "for the integrator" doesn't seem to work for me yet,
the same as you. I've managed to make some branches, but I haven't
figured out the ideal use for our use cases. I'm hoping arwed chimes
in and describes step-by-step he takes to do everyday spell integrates.

I've been attributing it to the fact that I haven't had time to sit
down with the git docs and really grok it.

Seth