sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] git and usability

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] git and usability
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:18:48 +0200

Seems Git Guide has not been changed from 2006-07-01.
I would really appreciate if I could find out some kiss info about
"integration, cherry-picking" from test (master) grimoire to stable-rc
and stable grimoire,
git log # find the commit you want to integrate and its hash ($hash below)
git checkout stable-rc # to get to the branch you want to modify
git cherry-pick -e $hash# cherry-pick

Seems I have to rebuild my git and enable some optional_dependencies (rcs):

$ git cherry-pick -e 6c6bcb0793a90336d197c0092fa0e51715c95386
First trying simple merge strategy to cherry-pick.
Simple cherry-pick fails; trying Automatic cherry-pick.
Auto-merging video-libs/xine-lib/DETAILS
/usr/bin/git-merge-one-file: line 93: merge: command not found
ERROR: Merge conflict in video-libs/xine-lib/DETAILS

Is it possible to use several cherry-picks at the same time?
For example last 5 commits?

In perforce it is possible to use "p4 integrate test/abc/... stable-rc/abc/..." and integrate all changes.
Is it possible in git?
Is it possible to see the git diff between master and stable-rc version of spell?

* git reset --hard cleans your working tree - anything not commited will be
lost
Just tried, seems it works. :-)

I hope I didn't give any misinformation. ;)
Thank you very much.
--
Ladislav Hagara