sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] call for assistance fixing easy-to-fix problems in spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] call for assistance fixing easy-to-fix problems in spells
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 13:52:51 -0500

On May 30, David Kowis [dkowis AT shlrm.org] wrote:
> Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> > On May 29, seth AT swoolley.homeip.net [seth AT swoolley.homeip.net] wrote:
> >> To get access to perforce you need to talk to arwed or eric, not me as
> >> far as I know.
> >
> > http://www.sourcemage.org/DeveloperOrganization :
> >
> > "General Developers: ... can be added to the project and given repository
> > access by any Lead Developer."
> > "... have commit access to the various project components, at the
> > discretion of the Lead over that component."
> >
> > You can add an account for them and can give them access to the grimoire
> > if
> > Arwed (or Eric) approves it.
> >

> I'm just going to note that when we have a distributed repository, it'll
> be really easy to let people futz around with the code and submit
> patches. Accounts will only need to be granted when we determine their
> coding skillz to be l33t enough to have unsupervised commit access (re:
> the apprentice program)

Yes, a distributed scm would make it easier to do various things, but at
the same time we should make sure we don't make it any harder to get
regular commit access just because it's easier to get lesser access. Our
low bar to getting commit access is a feature. And for the fixes that are
at issue in this thread we'd want them to have direct access anyway,
requiring someone to review and pull quickfix stuff takes about as long as
just doing the change themselves.