sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Big pile of...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andrew \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Big pile of...
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 17:43:13 +0100

I think you all know what follows the title...

I've read through the voting thread and through the reorg thread.
Replied to both. So what I put here is a summary.

I'm basicaly getting sick and tired of this I guess bickering some
would call it.

For the voting proccess.
Fact 0.1: Not every likes an open voting process
Fact 0.2: Non-auditable voting is a bad thing
Fact 0.3: The proposed solution of hashing a vote and posting that
after the vote would solve both

Sergey yes I agree a fully open process is best but it just can't
be realized so the next best thing I can see is auditable closed
voting.

I think there has been said enough on this and should be decided by
all the devs in a vote(fully open since it would be informal only)
and then by ALL the TEAM LEADS as confirmation of said outcome.

For the reorg:
Fact 1.1: Our teams might not be best organized
Fact 1.2: People support things they like/use/etc...

Regarding 1.1:
I find all of this talk of reorganization a bit to much...

basicaly Tome team needs to be reorganized along with PR
and related teams...
Taken from sandalle's post:
|-> Tome Lead (PL Assistant)
|-> Public Relations Team (Tome Assistant)
|-> Web Team (Tome Assistant)
|-> Server Team (Tome Assistant)
|-> Documentation Team (Tome Assistant)

This would be ok as I see it...
Then we need a separate QA team with relevant sub team
of security and since QA TESTS stable-rc it needs nothing from
grimoire other than to priorotize the bugs reported as primary.
Grimoire and Sorcery teams are to be kept separate as they have
things in common yet are completly separate.

The cauldron team RELIES on ALL the above teams.

Tome for documentation, QA for tested stable grimoire,
Grimoire for the rest, Sorcery for the main tool to install.

We can't really reogranize this much unless we completly drop
ALL the teams are just start doing dependency ordering like we do
for spells.

Regarding 1.2

I find that heathly it means stuff that is used is maintained properly.
As for the stuff that almost nobody uses. Well there's always bugzilla
for outside reports on that. So if someone does find a problem that is
critical it is reported. The only problem then is that any fixing of said
problem isn't enforced. That's where a team lead steps in. Either delegate
who should fix/ask for a volunteer/something. And pester them.

As for oadae's TL/PL should lead not work I don't agree. THe ammount of
developers
is scarce we ALL need to pitch in. Else it's part of the problem not the
solution.

Now can we please lay all of this to rest for good.

I'm getting tired of politics... but I really enjoy being a smgl dev...

Don't make it so bad that people start to leave(I'm considering it with
regards
of all of this political nonsense).

--
Andrew "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html

Key id = A7A9E461
Key fingerprint = 757E C16B F5B7 DC27 B003 CCED CF95 3A77 A7A9 E461