sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] More scsi modules (Was: 0.9.5-test2 is out)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] More scsi modules (Was: 0.9.5-test2 is out)
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 22:16:54 +0200

Eric Sandall:
> Karsten Behrmann:
>> Eric Sandall:
>>> Karsten Behrmann:
> <snip>
>>> Doesn't the initrd menu just list the module directories available in
>>> /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers or you have to manually add
>>> those directories?
>>
>> The initrd just lists those modules, but we aren't putting the entire
>> directory on the initrd (I don't see why anyone would want to start
>> sound from the initrd, for example). The list of dirs to include
>> on the initrd has to be edited manually.
>
> Perhaps it'd be easier/faster to have an exludes list (e.g. sound,
> alsa) and list the rest via a script?

Yeah, we could just exclude everything that does not have anything to
do with cdroms...

However, we're already pretty close to that the other way around, I think.
Only thing we could be missing is drivers/block (all that is not built-in),
drivers/pcmcia (how much can we do with just kernel modules?)
drivers/parport and drivers/infiniband...

And of course drivers/message/fusion (I had no idea that had anything to
do with scsi)

> >> I'd prefer this 'automagic' method. :)
> >
> > Okay. I have one thing we may want to consider:
> > In rare cases, loading a certain module causes Bad Things to happen on
> > certain machines. ACPI comes to mind.
> >
> > Instead of relying on kernel parameters to work around these, I'd suggest
> > adding a "disable hotplug" menu button on the initrd that triggers a
> > removal of the hotplug init script on booting through. We can make it
> > a bistate option that switches between disable and enable.
>
> That could work as well.

Oki, I'll bug this for next devel then.

> >> Correct, those should be built-in, IMO.
> >
> > Is this critical for 0.9.5?
>
> It should already be fixed, I thought. "Critical" devices (harddisks,
> CD-ROMs, USB (for keyboard support, at least)) should be built-in.

Yeah, all critical stuff that I knew of is built-in. I just missed those
devices because I had no idea there was scsi there, as well as pcmcia.
So should we include this last-second on 0.9.5 or is it rarely enough
needed so that it can stand waiting another month?

So Far,
Karsten

--
Karsten Behrmann | Source Mage GNU/Linux developer, ISO team
BearPerson AT gmx.net | http://www.sourcemage.org