sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] More scsi modules (Was: 0.9.5-test2 is out)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] More scsi modules (Was: 0.9.5-test2 is out)
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:31:12 +0200

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:25:15 -0700 (PDT), Eric Sandall wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Karsten Behrmann wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 03:06:58 +0200, Ladislav Hagara wrote:

>>> While booting ISO we can load modules. It is great but no for mpt...
>>> modules.
>>> Is possible to add directory drivers/messages/fusion/ to that list. Same
>>> as drivers/scsi, drivres/usb, ...?
>>> ISO with this directory/modules could be used as recovery CD for me.
>>>
>>> If that modules were built in kernel all could be without problems. :-)
>>
>> Sure, here's what we can do:
>>
>> 1. Put modules on the initrd
>> => All I need is the directory they are in, and I can put them in
>
> Doesn't the initrd menu just list the module directories available in
> /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers or you have to manually add
> those directories?

The initrd just lists those modules, but we aren't putting the entire
directory on the initrd (I don't see why anyone would want to start
sound from the initrd, for example). The list of dirs to include
on the initrd has to be edited manually.

>> 4. Use hotplug
>> => We already have hotplug on the ISO, we just need to install its init
>> script too (by default no initscripts are installed to the ISO itself)
>
> I'd prefer this 'automagic' method. :)

Okay. I have one thing we may want to consider:
In rare cases, loading a certain module causes Bad Things to happen on
certain machines. ACPI comes to mind.

Instead of relying on kernel parameters to work around these, I'd suggest
adding a "disable hotplug" menu button on the initrd that triggers a
removal of the hotplug init script on booting through. We can make it
a bistate option that switches between disable and enable.

>> The last two solutions do not work if the modules might be needed for
>> the cdrom; if the cdrom is on a scsi disk needing those drivers.
>
> Correct, those should be built-in, IMO.

Is this critical for 0.9.5?

So Far,
Karsten

--
Karsten Behrmann | Source Mage GNU/Linux developer, ISO team
BearPerson AT gmx.net | http://www.sourcemage.org