sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: Fixing Firefox's "find in page"

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: Fixing Firefox's "find in page"
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 12:47:33 -0600

On Mar 01, Andrew [afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com] wrote:

> > > 1) How would we codify the compreg.dat removal in the spell?
> > > 'rm -f /home/*/.mozilla/firefox/*/compreg.dat' would do it, but do we
> > > do that
> > > kind of thing to people? I think this is just a cache, so it should be
> > > safe, anyway.
>
> I managed to get firefox in devel to build without removing that file,
> but on startup afterwards it was getting seg faults, I then moved my
> .mozilla dir aside and it started up had the chrome://layout hang,
> I replaced my mozilla dir and it stopped seg-faulting but continued
> to have overlay problems. I set the compreg file aside and the problem
> persisted. :-( I'll try building again tonight without that file anywhere
> to be seen. Perhaps its enough to remove it in /root though?

As I understand it compreg.dat is a cache which includes information on
things like the extensions you built with. You want to remove it because
your previous build had typeaheadfind in it, and the cache retains that
info.

Removing this is completely non-destructive to the user experience as far
as I can tell. It doesn't contain your settings or anything like that. In
my own builds after removing that file firefox still started with all my
configs, themes, and downloaded extensions intact.