sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc problem?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc problem?
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:24:18 +0100

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 10:18:34AM -0500, George Sherwood wrote:
> I am not entirely sure if this problem is due to the glibc update, but
> it happened on the first reboot after the update. The boot aborts with
> the following error during mountall.sh:
>
> *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev): 0x0805aea8 ***
>
> This is happening during
> mount -f -o remount,rw /
>
> Right now I am running the system with this line commented out. I
> believe the only problem is that mtab does not show / mounted since this
> is a "fake" mount to include / in mtab. Everything else seems to work
> great. I have rebuilt util-linux and am in the process of rebuilding
> glibc.
>
> This system has had sourcemage/sorcerer installed since about FEB 2002.
> My guess is the number of updates on this system is contributing to the
> error. Although I have no proof of this. I don't have any problems on
> a system installed from the latest test ISO.
>
> This email is mostly for information and on the off chance that some one
> else runs into the same problem. Unless of course some one has a
> solution. :)

I don't have a solution, but I can say that it's definitely caused by
the newer glibc. I get such messages when running valgrind on several
things. Upgrading valgrind to the cvs version fixed some of them for me,
still happens every now and then though. As far as I can tell those
messages are sanity checks done by glibc for some memory handling stuff,
so they probably point to bugs in programs. If that's indeed the case
there should eventually be an updated version of the affected programs.

http://www.sourcemage.org