sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO generation [back on-topic]

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO generation [back on-topic]
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:48:43 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, David Kowis wrote:
I'm working on the smgl.install script. Karsten's script is a modular iso
generation script. I suppose we could collaborate on design schematics,
but for the most part, our entities are seperate.

Correct, but you're both working on modularization, with one doing a
re-write and the other using the current code. :)

Actually the installer stuff ended up in proj4 :) I'll write a script to
package up the installer to be unpacked, or copied or something, by the
iso generation scripts so that they can just call that script and the
necessary files will be placed where they should be.

Ahh, my bad, so many projects, so few identifiers. ;)

Why would we need an installer for the installer? When you integrate
back into //sgl/cauldron/devel it should bring all the files and
modifications with it.

Yeah that sounds great. I'd like to see something like that done. Your
method sounds as good as any. It gives the ISO generation scripters a
target filename, it gives us a structure and a plan to get development to
move forward. I've no problems with this methodology. I'm not sure how to
determine what's a Next Gen ISO tho. I suppose NextGen would be equivalent
to devel. I like it, but I think it might be a little while until we can
have an ISO that I would consider stable. I suppose the 0.9.3 is good
enough, but it has some hella bugs. I think the stable should be the first
working ISO we get from the generation scripts and the new installer. Then
we can roll onward from there. Of course, I don't run the show, so if
there's a better idea, please slap mine around a bit :)

The Next Generation ISO is a new name I gave Karsten's scripts. :) I
figured I'd have a little fun while typing it up. We could call
Benoit's The Original Series if we wanted. ;)

That's the general idea, get a stable ISO out with scripts marked as
stable and then start developing on new ideas.

-sandalle