sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] module-init-tools problem

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Geoffrey Derber <gderber AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] module-init-tools problem
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:45:41 -0500

Eric Sandall wrote:
Quoting Michael Taylor <tcm AT adelphia.net>:

I got this too.
Re-casting Linux from a clean source tree (answer No to "reuse existing tree") seemed to fix it, but I also turned off module versioning support in the kernel when I did that compile. Don't know what really fixed it. Maybe something to do with the kernel headers spell?

Were either of you using the kernel from the ISO instead of one compiled
afterwards when this problem occurred? FYI, I have module versioning support
and haven't run into this, but I also always compile my own kernel. ;)

-sandalle

No, I was not using the one from the ISO, the latest ISO have downloaded
was back in Dec. 2002.

This started for me with my most recent system-update. Which I started
about a week ago, started another one today to see if I could fix the
problem, no luck. I've recast linux several times, trying both a fresh
source tree, and not. I have never enabled versioning support (never
really saw a need to). I've recast module-init-tools several times, no
luck there either. I've tried cleanse --fix, only broken spell I saw
was j2sdk.

I've been using the 2.6 series kernel since January, and this is the
first time I've had this problem. I didn't change anything from
previous kernel versions. And I had previously compiled
module-init-tools against the 2.6.4 and 2.6.6 versions, but those both
now fail.

I have noticed that sorcery no longer thinks module-init-tools is installed.

Still trying to track this problem down.

Thanks,
Geoff