sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Sorcery Plans

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery Plans
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:15:50 -0700

I apologize for my complete absense from the mailing lists the past two
weeks, my isp blatently disconnected me and i've just now been able to
get back online. Here's just an update to whats going on with sorcery
right now:

So right now I'm planning on getting a 1.10.1 stable release out. The
main things that are fixed are some stability related things and
bugs/complaints that have cropped up, as well as removing the temporary
hack which all you all loved /so/ much, hopefully everyone's gotten a
chance to cleanse their depends tree and cast isn't bailing out for no
apparent reason, in otherwords you're on your own in terms of keeping
your systems dependency tree clean (more on this later)...

Right now we've got a release candidate in the test sorcery branch. If
you're on stable the easiest thing to do is change your sorcery branch
to devel, update, then change it again to test. I'd like to get that
release out by the end of the week. It would help a lot towards its
stability if we can get as many willing people to sanity check test so
we can have a more rock solid stable.

The current plan is to keep rolling out 1.10 releases and release
candidates as bugs are discovered. After some amount of time we'll push
those changes into a sorcery 1.10.x release. At the same time we'll
keep developing new features for devel.

The current set of major new work going into devel is:
alter (yay swoolley!), alter will let you prelink/strip spells installed
on your system, amoung other cool things.
dufflebunk is re-writing some of the sorry old cast --fix code
Ive got some code to only commit depends info to /var/state/sorcery/depends
on spell success which should hopefully keep that file less in need
of cleansing, it'll probably still need to be run after dispel's.
Im probably also going to have cross grimoire depends working to
a reasonable extent, and some options to recast installed
depends/dependee's.

All this stuff should be working and ready to go for the 1.11 release
a while from now.

-Andrew