sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] requests for spells on ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] requests for spells on ISO
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:29:24 -0800

Quoting Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>:
> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:23, Eric Sandall wrote:
> > > perl:5.8.3 <- (arguable)
> >
> > Does anything needed on the ISO require perl?
> ...[snip]
> > the kernel (linux) uses perl for some of it's parsing in makefiles. not
> > sure what glibc uses it for, but those are the only two "required"
> packages
> > I see that depend on perl (besides basesystem, but that's just a
> > meta-spell).
>
> nothing /uses/ perl but it is needed to compile glibc or a kernel. if it was
>
> moved out of "must have" it would still be installed for cast linux. So,
> thinking everyone would end up with it installed anyway, I left it in "must
> have" list.
> I don't mind where it is, there will be a cache of it available, if people
> want it out of the default list that is fine.

Well, people would probably like to compile those two packages eventually, so
say leave it in then.

> ...[snip]...
> > > e2fsprogs:1.35 <- (arguable)
> >
> > Isn't thsi one of those optionals that only get installed if they're using
> > ext2/3?
>
> basesystem depends on it and it is currently sustained. It is also the
> native
>
> filesystem, xfsprogs and jfsutils depends on it.
> My recent installer code has no idea what is in basesystem or what is
> sustained (or even what either term means) , but I have used both as a guide
>
> for what should be "must have".
> discuss it and let me know if it should only be installed if ext2 or ext3
> are
>
> used in the fstab

Then I say it should stay as they'll be using /some/ filesystem, and only one
of
our choices (reiserfs) doesn't seem to need e2fsprogs.

> ...[snip]...
>
> > > module-init-tools:3.0 <- (arguable)
> >
> > Isn't this needed to load/unload modules?
> >

> only if you build a kernel with modules, or copy the supplied kernel over.
> if it was removed from "must have" a check would have to be done to make
> sure
>
> the user hadn't installed a modular kernel, and overrule their bad decision
> if necessary.

Then I'd say leave it in as well.

> > > netconf:1.3 <- (arguable)
> >
> > Would this be optional if the chose to start their network right then (say
> > for an nfs install)?
>
> netconf exists in the iso_root, the installer no longer chroot's to call
> netconf and I have added a query to start the network interface immediately
> after it is configured.
> I still think it is a good idea to install it so users can remanipulate
> their
>
> interfaces easily after installation (and it is a single file) but I know
> some purists want a bare minimum, rock-bottom, no frills install, and they
> might view netconf as a frill.

It's small enough that I'd say leave it in.

> ...[snip]...
> > > netkit-ping:0.17 <- (arguable)
> >
> > Same as netconf, I'd say.
>
> yes, same

Same again. ;)

> ..[snip]...
> > > man-pages:1.66
> >
> > I think we may want the man pages installed, in case someone needs to look
> > up some syntax right away. And by "optional" you mean that they may or may
> > not be included on the ISO root, or that the user has an option to install
> > them onto the system from the ISO?
>
> I wasn't going to include man or man pages in the iso_root , uncompressed
> man-pages is 18 MB, and even gzipped they are still 13MB. I had thought
> about
>
> mount --bind (ing) the installed ${TARGET}/usr/share/man dir to the
> iso_root, but by the time the man-pages are installed and available the
> install is almost over. So there seems little point.
> There are similar size issues with info files too.
> I just checked, and the fresh install with all man pages and info files
> (including man-pages spell) when gzipped are 29 MB
> As always the majority's wishes should be respected, so if people want to
> sacrifice the ISO's size for documentation then let me know.

True, plus (most) people have an extra machine to look things up at, so leave
those off, I'd say.

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61