sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: I'm sorry

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: I'm sorry
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:50:51 -0800

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 6:53 pm, Ricardo Izquierdo wrote:
> Yes I think that but also, Duane, you "cast" light over my perseption
> with a very valid point, because what i understood is that Arwed is sitll
> maintaining the spell in the grimoire and sending it to the project's page.
>
> Maybe I'm still wrong and making a wrong perseption about that issue. What
> I understood, taking debian as an example, is that the project members make
> the dpkg file and release it under the project's web page. But maybe, I
> could be wrong and a debian developer makes the dpkg file and sends it to
> the page. If this is the question, we can do the same. And also, I know
> that debian has its own repository for all the packages that debian
> handles.
>
> Any comment about this?
>
> Odracir Redwolf
> Wizard's Aprentice

I think you're comparing apples and oranges here. Debian's packages (no
matter who prepares them) are the programs themselves, while Source Mage's
packages are scripts which basically describe the program, how to get it and
how to compile it.

I have thought about this many times, and, really, the Source Mage spells
have
no business being out of a grimoire and on the programs' sites. We can tell
the programmers about ourselves and let them know we exist. We can tell them
about our distro and how we make it easy for users to install and use their
programs. But we should not expect (or even want) them to put the spells on
their sites.

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)