sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] rebuilding from scratch using ISO 0.9.0

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Lyon Lemmens <redlemon AT knoware.nl>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] rebuilding from scratch using ISO 0.9.0
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:30:42 +0100

Hi everybody,

long time no see.

Anyway. At some point last week during an update
my /var/state/sorcery/packages got clobbered and its update was 2 months
old. Don't know why or how that happened. So I was faced by the choice of
either:

- use the packages.backup and update
- use the packages.backup and rebuild
- do a fresh install

As I've been living off sorcery updates since I first joined SMGL just
before the fork and I wanted to move to 2.6 kernel anyway, I chose for the
last.

Now, on average it was relatively painless. Install from the ISO worked ok.
One glitch during rebuild:

I switched to the test grimore and devel sorcery

During rebuild coreutils dispelled itself before "make install".
Unfortunately that deleted /usr/bin/install, which it had detected during
configure. As a result, it wouldn't install anymore. Result: no core utils.

my solution was to manually copy ginstall from the /usr/src/coreutils tree
to /usr/bin/install and re-cast. A better solution would prolly be to
protect /usr/bin/install during dispel

Then the fun began. I had saved a "gaze export" and also made a full backup
of my old system to my laptop, so I was safe.

The snapshot contained lots of cruft from my old system, so I didn't want to
rely on it but used it as a guideline for entering the dependencies.

90% of all packages installed OK. So kudos to the team.

But I'm still (after 3 days :-/) working on the 10% that went wrong. Here
are the hilights until now: (most of them seem to be related to using the
2.6 kernel)

gimp-print and cups:
cups has an optional-depend on gimp-print
gimp-print depends on cups

alsa-driver:
I had the same results as others in this list

<cut>
/usr/src/linux-2.6.1/scripts/Makefile.modpost:17: *** Uh-oh, you have
stale module entries. You messed with SUBDIRS,
/usr/src/linux-2.6.1/scripts/Makefile.modpost:18: do not complain if
something goes wrong.
MODPOST
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.1'

ALSA modules were successfully compiled.

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/alsa-driver-1.0.2'
Preparing to install alsa-driver
Dispelled spell: alsa-driver
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/alsa-driver-1.0.2'
find /lib/modules/2.6.1/kernel/sound -name 'snd*.*o' | xargs rm -f
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/alsa-driver-1.0.2/acore'
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.1/kernel/sound/acore
cp snd-hwdep.ko snd-page-alloc.ko snd-pcm.ko snd-rawmidi.ko
snd-rtctimer.ko snd-timer.ko snd.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.1/kernel/sound/acore
cp: cannot stat `snd-hwdep.ko': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `snd-page-alloc.ko': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `snd-pcm.ko': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `snd-rawmidi.ko': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `snd-rtctimer.ko': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `snd-timer.ko': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `snd.ko': No such file or directory
chown: failed to get attributes of `/dev/adsp': No such file or
directory
... etc

finally:
/tmp/casting.7949: line 28: [: too many arguments
</cut>

whoops.

I switched to using the kernel alsa drivers. Worked OK.

cdrtools:
during building libscg it ran into problems
with /usr/src/linux/include/scsi/scsi.h. All kind of types were not
defined. This appears to have to do with #ifdef __KERNEL__ lines that
do not include type definitions when you're not building the kernel. My
understanding is that the installation of glibc now installs user mode
includes into /usr/include and that user mode progs should not mess
with kernel includes anymore. So I added:

sedit "s!/usr/src/linux/include!!" DEFAULTS/Defaults.linux &&

to the top of BUILD, and hey presto. cdrtools compiled fine. I haven't
tried to burn a CD with it yet, though.

kdeadmin:
ran into parse problems with /usr/include/linux/mod_devicetable.h:

<cut>
/usr/include/linux/mod_devicetable.h:34: error: '__u32' is used as a
type, but is not defined as a type.
</cut>

Hey, these are the userspace includes. Why are there still __KERNEL__
ifdefs in here?

eject:
ran into parse problems with /usr/src/linux/include/scsi/scsi.h

samba:
ran into problems in /usr/include/linux/radix-tree.h: undefined symbol
TIF_NEED_REBUILD during build of smbclient. Kernel definition again.
Temporary commenting out the radix-tree include, let me build samba OK.

ffmpeg:
I had to switch to the CVS version to get it to compile

faad2:
I couldn't get it to install. gcc crashed with an internal error on
ic_predict.c, though that was invisible because the gcc output is
redirected to /dev/null in the makefiles.
I guess I can go without faad2 for now.

svgalib:
/usr/src/svgalib-1.9.17/src/libvga.h:106: error: redefinition of
`struct info'.

Yeah right. struct info. Now *that* is a unique name if I've ever seen
one. I can do without svgalib for a while.

amaya:
ancient version in grimoire

tidy:
won't download source

modplugxmms:
/usr/include/libintl.h:40: error: parse error before `__const'. kernel
ifdefs.

autofs:
when I compiled autofs4 as a module into the kernel, the automounter
could not load it automatically, event though there was an
"alias autofs autofs4" in modprobe.conf. Including it into the kernel
itself got rid of that.

NVIDIA_drivers:
these appear to rebuild the whole kernel again when I install them. And
that happens whenever I have to recast the kernel.

which brings me to:

linux:
the new 2.6 kernel is much smarter when it comes to building it. Isn't
there a way to harness that? It seems a bit wasteful to do a complete
cast (with unpack and md5summing) every time I want to change just one
parameter. Also I've seen several times that casting alsa-driver or
NVIDIA_driver seem to relink all the modules again.

assorted errors and observations:

- after installation, there was no /var/tmp
- there is no /var/log/lastlog
- nfs warning: mount version older than kernel
- spamassassin doesn't include an init.d file for the spamd

<cut>
#!/bin/sh

NEEDS=/usr/bin/spamd
PROGRAM=/bin/false
RUNLEVEL=3

. /etc/init.d/smgl_init

start()
{
echo "Starting spam killer"
loadproc spamd -d -u mail -p 400
evaluate_retval
}
stop()
{
echo "Stopping spam killer"
killproc spamd
evaluate_retval
}
restart()
{
stop
start
}
usage()
{
echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
}
</cut>

Oh, and there are lots of problems with my old section: perl-cpan. I'll try
to solve those as I go along and post fixes.

I haven't had time to create bug reports for all these, as my first convern
is to bet my workstation up&running again. I'll be a good boy and do so as
soon as possible.

--
Lyon Lemmens
redlemon AT knoware.nl