sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] j2dsk that doesn't require x11libs

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] j2dsk that doesn't require x11libs
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 01:59:59 -0600

Quoting Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:39, Hamish Greig wrote:
> > this is *slightly* possible
> > some *stuff* does link to x11 libs during the compile but a minimal
> install
> > using xfree86-libs should be possible, you will then get a failure when it
> > can't link to libXi (-lXi) so edit out that files reference to -lXi and
> > retry. I am not sure how many occurances there are I think only one.
> > I don't remember if that is with lesstif or the bundled motif either.
> > try it and see
> > Hamish
>
> Just responding to myself,
> I have spent some time working on xfree86-libs and xdirectfb. both now
> install
> *full* library sets.
> My desktop (all of kde, half of gnome) which was rebuilt against xfree86 now
>
> passes a cast --fix if I remove xfree86 and install either xfree86-libs or
> xdirectfb. So j2sdk depends will get changed to X11-LIBS only (from
> X11-SERVER)
> an xfree86-libs install is only ~ 35MB
> (if you rm -rf the doc/man dirs it is under 25 MB)
> whereas a xfree86,xfree86-devel,xdirectfb install is ~100->150 MB
> this should be exactly what you want ...
> Hamish
> ps I hope you hadn't spent too much time trying my other suggestion :(

Nope :) I looked at what I'd have to do and instead just cast j2sdk-bin.
Although that complained because unixODBC needs X11 to build its gui thing. So
I just took that out of the depends and stuck j2sdk-bin on it. Works great.
If the X11-libs is in the test I'll try that and see if it works.
Thanks
Dave