sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] init woes

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • To: Tony Smith <tony AT smee.org>
  • Cc: Robert Helgesson <rycee AT home.se>, sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Paul Mahon <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] init woes
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 02:12:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Tony Smith wrote:

> On Thursday 09 October 2003 11:59 pm, Paul Mahon wrote:
> > No, Python is soo amaturish. We should use Java and change the
> > simpleinit scripts to XML.
>
> Now you're just trolling ;-) but in case you mean it I'll bite:

He was.

> 1. Python is ugly, but it's not amaturish. Java on the other hand has some
> fundamental issues that I certainly do consider amaturish: filename must
> equal class name is the big one. That causes huge headaches for developers
> -
> because renaming a class means renaming the file. That's OK when you're on
> your own but in a team it's tough because renames are much harder than
> normal
> edits to merge.
>
> Ruby is far cleaner than both Python and Java.

I would probably agree if I knew Ruby from what I hear. I come from
Java-land myself, so that gives me even more reason to agree.

> 2. Simpleinit is _simple_, XML is anything but. I'll stick with simpleinit
> thanks. IMHO, XML has one great use-case (apart from HTML) and that is
> data-exchange. Everywhere else I've seen it used something simpler would
> have
> been better.

XML is used outside of data-exchange? Did I miss something, because I
thought thats _all_ XML is (a data-exchange (read: markup) standard with
its extensibility highly defined).

Maybe you mean it's a bad idea to put scripts in XML format (as CDATA
in some element, I guess) as it gets messy -- XML if it were used would
probably just have standard bash encapsulated within it (or java, whatever
he's using). That would just be treating the real scripts as data.

Seth