sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: [SM-Admin] Source Mage Project Leader UpdateReport - 26 June 2003

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Tony Smith <tony AT smee.org>
  • To: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: [SM-Admin] Source Mage Project Leader UpdateReport - 26 June 2003
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:18:18 +0100

On Friday 27 June 2003 11:03 pm, Eric Sandall wrote:
> > Tony
>
> Do we have a spell for evms (I don't believe so)? If not, anyone care to
> write one (Tony, you may have the most knowledge of it, if you have the
> time...)?

I have one, but I haven't submitted it because it needs to be re-done as a
patch to the linux spell rather than a separate spell as it is at the moment.
There's also the tools which are a separate spell. That said, if anyone wants
what I've done so far, they're more than welcome. I just don't have time to
clean it up at the mo'.

> If we do have/get a package for EVMS, perhaps we should have that on the
> ISO instead of raidtools (or would we still need raidtools)?

Yay! I don't think you would need raidtools. You just need evms and evmsn
(ncurses interface) on the ISO and a way to invoke it.

Note that EVMS 1.x will discover EVMS volumes and devices in kernel space -
i.e. on boot/module load, but EVMS 2.x requires user-space discovery (the
kernel hackers insisted) which (a) is nicer in an installer but (b) requires
an initrd if you put your root fs on an EVMS volume. I'm still using 1.2.1 so
I haven't played the initrd game, but it could be a major complication to the
spell.

Tony