sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: [SM-Admin] Source Mage Project Leader UpdateReport - 26 June 2003

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: [SM-Admin] Source Mage Project Leader UpdateReport - 26 June 2003
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:03:01 -0700 (PDT)

Tony Smith said:
> On Thursday 26 June 2003 9:48 pm, Eric Sandall wrote:
>> RAID support! ;) We should have 'raidtools' installed on the ISO as
>> well
>> as the install script able to format and mount /dev/md<x> (for software
>> RAID, not sure what hardware RAID lists as).
>
> Installing EVMS gets you free support for MD too as well as a whole bunch
> of
> other stuff (bad block relocation, file system snapshots, LVM etc. etc.).
> use it (v1.2.1) heavily and swear by it.
>
> Hardware RAID doesn't require us to do anything - it's done in the
> hardware
> :-). So the devices just appear to the kernel as SCSI or IDE disks.
>
> Tony

Do we have a spell for evms (I don't believe so)? If not, anyone care to
write one (Tony, you may have the most knowledge of it, if you have the
time...)?

If we do have/get a package for EVMS, perhaps we should have that on the
ISO instead of raidtools (or would we still need raidtools)?

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61