sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage init system proposal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage init system proposal
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 12:00:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Eric Schabell wrote:

> Since there have been no comments for a whole week, we will take that to
> mean
> that there is/are no problems with our well laid out, well thought out and
> exemplary project proposal as displayed in the previous posting... ;-)
>
> I would like to thank you for your input and we now are closing the "open
> discussion" on this subject.

It is important that ALL spells that install some sort of init script
install one that is correct for the init system. If a programs normal
installation process (ie 'make install') installs a script, this needs to
be removed/replaced with an smgl compatible one after the 'make install'
or in POST_INSTALL. For example, the acpid spell installs a broken init
script currently, bug forthcoming! :-)

One possible approach:

1) All spells that require or may provide an init script register, or get
added to some list.

2) Between the spell author, maintainer and init system people the script
gets added to the init system spell.

3) All spells that want to install an init script (the ones from #1) call
some sorcery provided function to install an init script (giving the
script name as a parameter).

4) Using a script provided with the init system spell, sorcery installs
the init script.

The advantage with this approach is that multiple init systems could be
developed, so long as sorcery can determine which init system install
script to call (perhaps handled with triggers, or just looking to see
which spell is currently "providing" init-system and calling INIT_INSTALL
in the spell directory) and all init systems are kept up to date with the
list of spells needing init scripts (from #1).

Just an idea. The important part is making sure that all init scripts
work!

-casey