sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] The lonely PMS

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Peter Schneider-Kamp <nowonder AT i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] The lonely PMS
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:25:16 +0100

M.L. wrote:
Right but is it really necessary to reinvent the weel in bash ?

I'm not part of the developer team, but I thinks being 100% bash based is not the main SMGL's goal. Then, it's not even the easyest way to do certain things, as you said.

Although I *do* love bash (and have contributed a few lines of bash
code), I am pretty sure I would not want an all bash SMGL.

Talk about speed and, of course, reinventing the wheel. For example
replacing init with a bash version would only make sense to me
if it significantly improved on init. Why replace something that is
perfectly stable, well-understood and does its job like a machine?

The power of bash is *combining* standard tools in an
easy and comfortable way - not *replacing* them!

Greetings and thumbs up for the development team,
Peter

P.S.: <DISCLAIMER>I'm not on the developer team, either.</DISCLAIMER>
--
Peter Schneider-Kamp mailto:nowonder AT i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
LuFG Informatik II http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~nowonder