sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] The lonely PMS

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] The lonely PMS
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:05:27 -0800 (PST)

Dufflebunk said:
> Well, we have 0.5 behind us, and it's time to start looking forward
> again. If we are going to continue saying that the distro is bash based,
> we should start making it bash based. Right now only the package
> management and installer are done in bash, and a package management
> system does not a distro make.
>
> Perhaps we should be making the core parts of the distro in bash, init
> for one. In addition, we need tools for modifying the system, runlevel
> editors, X configuration, and hardware setup come to mind right now and
> I'm sure there are many others.
>
> I suppose writing scripts in bash to duplicate functionality we already
> have by using other apps is a little too far (ie wget replacement
> written in bash). But it is something to think about to see how far we
> can push things.

Well, I think there's already an init.d editor called 'ntsys' or
something, written in curses (and probably C, so it's not quite all the
way BASH ;)).

These are good ideas, especially the X configuration tool, perhaps one for
installing fonts would be good. Hopefully we pick up some more bashers to
work on these. :)

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

--