sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Cups GDI problem.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Cups GDI problem.
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 06:24:33 -0800

On Sunday 02 March 2003 03:42 pm, Alan Ross wrote:
> On Sunday 02 Mar 2003 16:57, Alan Ross wrote:

> > > You might wonna try updating cupsomatic, as the cups-spell does not, or
> > > at least recently did not, update this correctly - (it was placed in
> > > wrong folder) - you can get it at www.linuxprinting.org/cupsomatic
> > > (direct link)
> > > FreakCERS
> >
> > I updated the script, placed it in /usr/lib/cups/filter/cupsomatic and
> > set permissions 755, restarted cups. However trying to print a test page
> > still results in the same error as above.
> >
> > --alan
>
> I think I have narrowed down the problem. Espgs doesn't appear to be
> building the gdi device. Running gs -h | grep gdi results in nothing. After
> looking at the configure options and the samsung contrib readme I tried
> adding the option:
> --with-drivers=ALL,gdi
> But still no gdi device. The default is to build all devices so I am unsure
> as to why gdi is not being built.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> --alan

Sorry to be so slow in responding. Due to a recently fixed (I hope) bug in
sorcery, my system's been flaky in spell casting, so I've been unable to do
any real testing to try and duplicate your problem. Also, my ISP' s mail
server's been flaky, so I've had difficulties sending and receiving e-mail.

If you are running the devel grimoire, try accessing the espgs spell in the
test grimoire to see if that fixes your problem, and let me know.

I submitted a change in the way espgs is built back on about the 17th of
February to build shared objects rather than static. The reason for this is
because gsview will only work with a shared object compiled ghostscript.

I personally am having no problems using foomatic w/espgs in this manner, but
my testbed is rather small, and there may have been conditions in which it
doesn't work that I don't have.

I suspect this theory less, but as the version of foomatic that our spell is
based on is the nightly updates, it could be possible that a recently
submitted program change and then a local recompile might have introduced a
problem. Therefore, if you have recompiled foomatic in the last week or so,
you might try recompiling foomatic again to see if the problem goes away.

--
Jason Flatt
E-mail (remove the spaces): jason @ flattfamily . com