sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] PPC iso.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • To: Chris Brien <postmaster AT negativezero.plus.com>
  • Cc: David P <pradierdavid AT yahoo.fr>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] PPC iso.
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 14:21:19 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Chris Brien wrote:

> On Sunday 16 February 2003 8:26 pm, David P wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I'd like to know if the ppc iso is actively maintained.
> >
> > Chris (Brien), i think it's you who has made it ?
> >
> > Do you need a tester :-) ?
> > I've just got an ibook, and i really really would prefer to run a
> > sourcemage on it rather than a debian.
> >
> > Well, if you don't maintain it anymore, could you tell me ?
> >
> > David/day
>
> I stopped maintaining it when I left my last job - I no longer have access
> a powerpc machine (my last boss was a Mac-freak). I was only able to build
> one (mostly) working iso, and it doesn't have any partitioning tools - it
> really needs a spell for mac-fdisk.
>
> I passed the bonnet onto Seth Wooley, but I don't think he's able to do it
> either - his ppc boxen are too important to break. I'd be happy if you would
> want to take up the maintainence; at least then I'll have achieved
> something.
>
> And tell me if it actually works or not :o)
>
> Chris

Yes, the only problem with the iso was mac-fdisk not being there, which
isn't that big of a deal since day's debian did the partitioning already.

I did get a perfectly working system up and running, thankfully, with
sorcery working fairly well.

and mac-fdisk is an easy spell to make, if someone wants to do it. I made
it by hand, myself. It ended up being quite useless since I used debian
to make the partitions anyways.

I've never custom-made an iso, but I'd be willing to try. I just realized
that I do have a ppc box that I could just swap harddrives out of for
testing, since it is a desktop system (OS X on it currently).

Day, if you feel like being ppc maintainer, I'd be more than happy to
test it for you. Debian and yellow dog are stable, but sometimes I just
want more control. ;)

I'd love to see the ppc port move forward, so I'm offering to be the
contact for this if day doesn't want to be the contact, until the time
comes when a real PPC guru come along and wants the "bonnet".

Chris: if you have any tips for an x86 guy for building a PPC iso, let me
know. It looks like you used the yellow dog initrd IIRC?

- --
Seth Alan Woolley <seth at tautology.org>, SPAM/UCE is unauthorized
Key id 7BEACC7D = 2978 0BD1 BA48 B671 C1EB 93F7 EDF4 3CDF 7BEA CC7D
Full Key at seth.tautology.org, see www.gnupg.org www.keyserver.net