sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Updated ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Geoffrey Derber <Geoffrey.Derber AT Trinity.edu>
  • To: Wyatt Draggoo <wyatt AT draggoo.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Updated ISO
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:56:53 -0600

Wyatt Draggoo wrote:
I do not think that is the way it works. The kernel spell, yes will help, but for that initial setup, before the reboot with your new kernel, I do not think that you are able to download anything off the internet, honestly I'm not sure on this part though, I never tried, so if grub isn't available on the iso, then it wouldn't be possible at all to install. Then since the installer also runs lilo after the kernel is installed, even if you did manage to somehow install grub, the installer would very likely write over the grub install. But at minimum, the binary would have to be available on the CD, as well as a slight, probably very quick modification to the installer. Also, lilo as a program is not actually included in the linux spell, only a script for updating the lilo.conf file. This I am sure of, grub can be added to that script, but it still wouldn't actually install grub.

I could be completely wrong on this as well.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. What I meant was, except for
including grub on the ISO, most of the work would be done in the kernel
spell---not in the install system. At most I'd add a menu option to edit
the grub config, much like the option to edit lilo.conf now.

Wyatt

Oh, yeah, that might work. There would still be some differences. One of the differences between grub and lilo is that after editing the config file, you do not run grub to install it. Grub reads that file directly. The linux spell, when it has grub support would only modify the file, so the iso installer would still have to do something to make sure that grub is actually installed, because otherwise you would not have any boot loader at all.