sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Updated ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Wyatt Draggoo" <wyatt AT draggoo.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Updated ISO
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:57:39 -0800 (PST)

> The installer says quite clearly that you will most likely need to change
> that value. I think that it's a good thing the way it is now. it prevents
> people from accidentaly overwriting your MBR.

True, it does say that. I'm just trying to figure out whether more people
would overwrite their MBR on accident, or if more people would forget to
change the lilo.conf and not be able to boot into SMGL at all, except by
CD. The way I've been looking at it is that the people who already have
something else in their MBR that has multi-boot capability probably know
they need to change their lilo.conf not to overwrite it. But again, if you
will "most likely need to change that value", doesn't that mean the majority
of
the users will use LILO this way?

What I would vote for is a default of /devices/discs/disc0/disc, with the
installer adding a commented line for the partition SMGL was installed on:

boot=/devices/discs/disc0/disc
# Comment out the above line and uncomment out the line below to
# install LILO on your SourceMage partition instead of to the MBR.
#boot=/devices/discs/disc0/part2

Wyatt

--
Wyatt Draggoo