sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Phoenix 0.3

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Rob Helmer <robert AT namodn.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Phoenix 0.3
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:00:17 -0800

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 11:11:25AM -0800, Nick Jennings wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 10:03:44AM -0800, Rob Helmer wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 12:24:18PM -0500, Dufflebunk wrote:
>
> Yes, Mister Sir, however, I think the bugger is that you have to
> download the mozilla source, or rather, check it out from CVS just
> to build a subset of the code.
>
> Seems they should provide a phoenix tarball which very well could
> just be a check out of the code, except minus the stuff that isn't
> going to be used in the compile. (Like Mail, News, Toaster Oven,
> Bed Pan, and lets not forget the 10 inch pianist).

You don't have to check out everything, for most of the Mozilla
subprojects you can check out mozilla/client.mk and pass BUILD_MODULES
options to that, it'll check out just what it needs ( like
you do "make -f client.mk pull_all BUILD_MODULES=xpcom" to
build standalone XPCOM ).

The Phoenix people seem to be quite ornery though, they make
it a pain in the ass. You don't need to check out mozilla/mailnews,
but I'm not really sure what you need from everything else.

Once someone does this it'll be easy to just run that and tar it up.

> > The developers treat Phoenix as "what mozilla should have been" :
> >
> > * a browser
> > * fast(er)
> > * has a good user interface, designed by a small team
> >
> > It's still standards compliant and cross-platform, so it depends
> > on all the xpcom/xpfe/gecko/javascript/etc. that they developed
> > for the Mozilla project.
> >
> > Hopefully, once it gets good enough what is now "phoenix" will
> > replace "mozilla navigator", and will be a seperate application from
> > "mozilla mail" ( there's a Thunderbird project for that ), as
> > opposed to the monolithic application that the "Mozilla Suite" is
> > now.
>
> Hey, no fair, :( you hurt mozilla's feelings. I think there in fact
> *is* a place for the bloated monolith that is mozilla. Some people like
> to have all that crap.

A place.. in Hell!

You can even use it as your window manager - http://oeone.com
( i think this is kind of cool actually ).

--
Rob