sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage network install

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • To: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage network install
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 02:39:16 +0400 (MSD)

Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>:

> 1) Which grimoire: devel, testing, stable or custom?

Make all of them only download sorcery/grimoire from
your server, not from SMGL servers. I imagine a staging
area where you would test new sorcery and spells, and
then use scribe (and tell us how did you do it :-) to
move successful spells to your custom grimoire.

> 2) Localized source
>
> A while back I remember someone mentioning a BASE_URL
variable that
> could be set in /etc/sorcery/local/config, how does
this variable work.

Everything is only wget-ed from $BASE_URL/$SOURCE,
AFAIR (use the source).

> 3) Which network file system?

Here, I don't know. I guess toy can go for IPSec if you
don't want Kerberos and want tunnels, but imagine
getting a tcpdump on this network :-(...

> That's good enough for now. Any ideas, thoughts,
flames, comments will
> be appreciated. Back to LDAP docs...

I finally got it working with PAM and SSHd (no human
user records in passwd/group/shadow), and my section
now has a couple of handy spells to do LDAP
housekeeping. Next step: mod_ldap for Apache and final
scene of bending IMP (web-mail) to use LDAP and work.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Sergey.