sm-admin - Re: [SM-Admin] [SM-Discuss] developer meeting next saturday (2/17) (was: What I Have In Mind)

sm-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer Only Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, sm-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Admin] [SM-Discuss] developer meeting next saturday (2/17) (was: What I Have In Mind)
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 20:37:53 -0600

On Feb 15, Jeremy Blosser [jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org] wrote:
> Reminder, we will have a developer meeting this Saturday (2/17) at 17:00
> GMT. There's not really a set agenda so length will mostly depend on how
> much people want to talk about. If we're still talking at 19:00 we'll end
> it so people can go to bed.

Meeting Details:

Present enough to speak:
171 emrys
118 Fleshreaper
92 BearPerson
90 afrayedknot
73 sobukus
68 iuso
34 lynxlynxlynx
21 ryuji
7 p3pilot
6 swoolley
5 lejatorn
3 CuZnDragon
2 qnr-lt
1 tboatman
1 sandalle
1 ruskie
1 dinolinux

Full log is attached. Summary:

Grimoire:
- 0.7 is Close.
- The accelerated release process is working, with some room for
improvement:
- It took us too long to get a chroot this time. Updated chroots should
be available at the start of the release cycle. This should be easy,
for some reason it isn't. We can use the default configset stored in
the cauldron repository to seed chroots. Those of us with better
testing hardware (vms, etc.) will try to get some solid chroots
established that can be better maintained between releases.
- We could probably use some more time between release cycles to let
things settle a bit and focus on any development issues. We will be
taking a week off between releasing 0.7 and starting 0.8 for this and
to make sure the chroot process is solid. stable-rc-0.8 will be
branched on Feb 25.
- We can streamline the basesystem testing a bit. We will add a column to
the wiki release tracking pages for an extra X that anyone who
successfully casts the spell as part of a full system upgrade can add.
IF the shepherd of a spell hasn't signed off on that spell by the
release but doesn't have any gating bugs noted on the wiki and someone
else has indicated it does cast, the spell is signed off for the
release. We will also add another column to indicate that the initial
research for any known gating bugs has been completed. Make sure you
are accurately noting issues and progress with your spells.

Cauldron:
- Current work has been on a 0.9.6.2 that uses the same installer code and
kernel from 0.9.6.1 and has other spell caches updated from the 0.6
grimoire. We'll continue this to get a 0.9.6.2-rc that developers can
test with internally as "proof of concept", but it probably won't see
public release.
- When 0.9.6.2 is done, work will begin to update it to a 0.9.6.3 that will
use the 0.7 grimoire caches and kernel version. This will be publically
released ASAP.
- Work on 0.9.7 will begin after this. The focus will be on 'de-magicking'
the installer so we can crank iso releases on grimoire releases, allow
expert types to do more direct chroot installs from the iso, and
generally making things less brittle.

Tome/RDP:
- Needs a driver.

Sorcery:
- Work is being done to complete 1.14.
- After 1.14 is released, afrayedknot is taking a much deserved/needed
sabbatical.

Project Lead:
- Nothing really to add beyond what's already been said on the ML.
- Still looking for assistants who really have the time.
- On Sorcery, I don't see a problem letting sorcery soak after 1.14 for a
while as other areas need way more work than sorcery does anyway. We'll
all see where things stand when the Sorcery Lead vote is due in July and
if afrayedknot is ready to run again, etc.
- We need an active Grimoire Lead to decide some longstanding policy
questions and pick up and standardize this release process we've been
developing through trial and error. That vote is due in March, and I
intend to nominate at least 3 people, so start thinking of questions and
discussion topics now.