pleurothallid-l - Re: [pleurothallid-l] Mounting Pleuothallis pectinata upside down?

  • From: <geiger@vetigastropoda.com>
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pleurothallid-l] Mounting Pleuothallis pectinata upside down?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 20:48:18 -0400

Dear Jim,

thanks for the info. I got mine also from SBOE. Re growing conditions, that
what I use as well (60-80/85F, 80%RH, ~1000
fc, in greenhouse with Masdevallias, other Pleurothallids [e.g. nossax] and
Draculas). I did google-image the species and
have seen a few more hanging mounts displayed:
-http://www.flickr.com/photos/orquidariogabi/page9/

The Missouri Botanical Garden website has an old account (Marti, Eichler &
Urban, 1893-96: Flora Brasiliensis) on-line.
Looked for habitat information in there. The illustration shows the plant
rooted straight to a branch, with the leaves
upright, which is obviously impossible. The habitus is described with hanging
secondary stems (= leaf petioles) (Caules
secundarii penduli), so the description is better than the illustration.
Habitat indication (p. 413) is only in virgin forests =
jungle? (sylvis virgineis) and on trees (arboribus) at elevations of roughly
1000 ft (370 m). Flowers June through September.

Daniel

On Wed Jun 15 6:05 , "James Rassmann" sent: