pleurothallid-l - Re: [pleurothallid-l] Green Books Vol XXVIII

  • From: Lisa Thoerle <lthoerle@alumni.uchicago.edu>
  • To: pleur list <pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pleurothallid-l] Green Books Vol XXVIII
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:26:41 -0400

Linda (and others who dabble in this taxonomic stuff),

The new genera do seem to be morphologically tidy, and quite natural, and perhaps monophyletic (although one doesn't say that without DNA analysis these days). Dr. Luer's presentations are, as always, clear and easy to understand, and this doubtless goes a long way towards making divisions seem natural, at least to this reader's eye. The same goes for the ten new segregates of Specklinia (also published in v 28). Well, now I've given it ALL away. You'll just have to buy the book even though I've ruined the suspense!

--Lisa

Linda Sedlacek wrote:

Lucky us! In a way, I dread splitting up genera. You have to relearn
so much information. Plus, the judges just cannot keep up, so you have
to put two names on your plants. Of course, don't forget the mess with
renaming hybrids. You have to reexamine the parentage and then figure
out what genus/intergeneric you have.
To be honest though, I love doing this stuff. I know ... I am a little
sadistic. Of course, being a taxonomist myself (not in plants, but
small crustaceans), means that I understand some of the reasoning behind
it, and I sympathize completely with the way others look at them after a
huge split like this one.

I look forward to the read!

Linda

--