pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] Re: [frognet] Masdevallia limax (orchid club)

  • From: Michael Shrom <shrommj@ptd.net>
  • Cc: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org, frognet@frognet.org
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] Re: [frognet] Masdevallia limax (orchid club)
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:28:22 -0500

Hi John,
I'm glad to hear from you. I've been doing frogs for over 20 years but have only been putting orchids in the tank for the past year or so. Most of my plants are on tree fern plaques but some are on cork bark and in pots. They are all hanging on cork and grapevine with holes drilled in it to hang the plaques and pots. I normally mist heavily in the morning. I water heavy about once a week. I am setting the temp back a little at night. So far I'm fertilizing at about half strength with dynagrow every couple weeks. I hear so many conflicting ideas on fertilizing it confuses me. I've heard Dracula should not be fed so I guess I won't.
I'm sorry I missed FrogFest. Usually their are lots of plants and supplies at IAD http://www.intlamphibday.org It is in Timmonium, Md. from April 2nd - 4th this 2004. The orchid expert their is Beth Off from Waldor. Beth is in charge of the event this year. Waldor tends to lean more towards the big orchids but Beth gets stuff especially for IAD. Normally I don't go distances for shows but might have to go to the amphibian show that is tentatively scheduled for The Atlanta Botanical Gardens next year. I always wanted to go down their to see Ron Gagliardos frogs and plants. Ron Gagliardo and Charles Powell are putting that show on. They are both orchid and frog guys.
I'll let you know how the plants do. I'll probably continue posting some things to both lists (unless I get complaints). The lists do overlap quite a bit. Many of the orchids and frogs need nearly the same conditions.
Later
Michael Shrom