pleurothallid-l - Re: [pleurothallid-l] Re: pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 2, Issue 12

  • From: "Charles Powell, II" <powell2@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pleurothallid-l] Re: pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 2, Issue 12
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:31:52 -0700

Marcus,

Some of the larger frogs might trample some of the smaller Pleurothalids, but even the biggest Dendrobatid tops out at about 2 inches and many are under an inch. They won't eat the snails or slugs, but feed mostly on fruit flies and very young crickets. The good part of working with Dendrobatids (poison frogs) is that they are beautifully colored from yellow to orange to blue to black and many times with several different contrasting colors. Because the are poisonous in the wild (not in captivity) they are very bold and make excellent terrarium subjects. As for calls - the calls of most are very soft and your not likely to hear them, but the few that do call loud enough to hear outside of their terrarium sound like crickets, or birds, not like any roaches I've ever heard of.

As I remember your in Brazil. In the northern part of Brazil near the Guyana shield area some species occur in Brazil. If you'd like more information on them you can contact me privately at powell2@sbcglobal.net (or anyone else for that matter). Or I'm sure Michael wouldn't mind answering questions either.

Best,

Chuck