permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Decolonizing Permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Wages <jwages@earthlink.net>
  • To: "permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Decolonizing Permaculture
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 18:58:29 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

The Nov. 2015 issue of Permaculture Design magazine (issue #98) was built around the theme "Decolonizing Permaculture" and guest-edited by Adam Brock (check out Adam's latest work, "Change Here Now: Permaculture Solutions for Personal and Community Transformation," which Rhonda Baird has reviewed in our May issue). Adam did an admirable job of assembling some great articles, which stirred up more controversy than any issue of the magazine I've been involved with. For some reason, Decolonizing Permaculture is more controversial than Staple Crops! Maybe we should do an issue on Permaculture Ethics!

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Or so the saying goes. In this case, there are two sides to the story, and the people who felt that permaculture needed to be decolonized were the ones who volunteered to write. Not only that, but we also had a surplus of great articles, which we decided to offer as a Supplement online.

For a more in-depth description of the problems faced by women and persons of color, check out the issue of Permaculture Design, but be sure to read the follow-up letters, as some persons who have been involved in permaculture since the beginning felt that the problems were exaggerated.

John

John Wages
Publisher, Permaculture Design magazine
www.PermacultureDesignMagazine.com