permaculture - [permaculture] PFAF ||| Plants For A Future

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] PFAF ||| Plants For A Future
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 20:23:00 -0500

http://www.pfaf.org/user/Default.aspx

*2017 Appeal *** Help PFAF to go Tropical! Our big project for 2017 is to
extend our database by adding a further 500 selected useful plants that
grow in tropical conditions. This is a major project for us and we need
your donations to complete it. Read more >>
<http://www.pfaf.org/user/cmspage.aspx?pageid=187>
<http://www.pfaf.org/user/Default.aspx>

- <http://www.pfaf.org/user/Default.aspx>
- About Us <http://www.pfaf.org/user/AboutUs.aspx>
- Explore <http://www.pfaf.org/user/cmspage.aspx?pageid=305>
- Shop <http://www.pfaf.org/user/shop.aspx>
- Suppliers <http://www.pfaf.org/user/cmspage.aspx?pageid=120>
- Donate <http://www.pfaf.org/user/cmspage.aspx?pageid=187>

[image: homebanner] [image: homebanner] [image: homebanner] [image:
homebanner] [image: homebanner] [image: homebanner]
PrevNext
123456
The PFAF Database:
*On our website, pfaf.org <http://pfaf.org>, you can search for over 7000
edible and medicinal plants using a number of search criteria including:
common and Latin names, keyword, family, habitat and use (medicinal, edible
or other).*

Search techniques includes:

- search by name
- search by keyword
- you can browse plants common and Latin names by alphabetical letter
- you can browse plants by their family, habitat and use (medicinal,
edible or other)
- you can search a plant by it use, for example whether it can be used
for:

*edible*: e.g. coffee, chocolate, gelatine, oil
*medicinal* e.g. acrid, antacid, antibiotic, kidney
*other* e.g. alcohol. beads, bottles, fencing, fuel
*special uses* e.g. nitrogen fixer, hedge

You can do a more detailed search using the Search Properties section. This
allows you to search for a number of plant features at once. For example
you might want to search for a plant that needs light sandy soil, that is
between 1m and 5m high and that likes shade. The database will find plants
that have all 3 of these features.

The main aim of the charity is researching and providing information on
ecologically sustainable horticulture, as an integral part of designs
involving high species diversity and permaculture principles. Approaches
such as woodland/forest gardening use a minimal input of resources and
energy, create a harmonious eco-system and cause the least possible damage
to the environment, while still having the potential to achieve high
productivity.

**** *
*Latest News *** *

During 2016 PFAF added to our database the first 230 new tropical plants,
out of the 700 we plan to add. Here's one of them:
http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Aegle+marmelos - note the 3
apples and 3 hearts for edible and medicinal uses, and 5 tools symbols for
other uses. Obviously an important plant! You can find plants by searching
in the USDA Hardiness zones 10 to 12 or the PFAF Hardiness scale of 10.
Database Search Page: Edible, Medicinal and other uses of over 7,000 plants

Search for name:

Common or botanical Name or Family. You can use a fragment of a name if you
are unsure of the spelling.
Browse
Alphabetically: Latin names & Common names, Family, Habitate
*Search by Use & Properties*
Select any of the keywords below to locate plants with this property.
Select the 'HELP' link below the column to get more information on the
keywords used and further database links. Select the 'Help with these
terms' link to see a helpful reference list of keywords while selecting.
** Less is more! The fewer conditions specified the more plant will be
returned. Help with these terms
<http://www.pfaf.org/user/cmspage.aspx?pageid=76>
Edible Rating
Minor 1 2 3 4 5 Great
Medicinal Rating
Minor 1 2 3 4 5 Great
Edible Uses
Help <http://www.pfaf.org/user/edibleuses.aspx>
Medicinal Uses
Help <http://www.pfaf.org/user/Medicinaluses.aspx>
Other Uses
Help <http://www.pfaf.org/user/otheruses.aspx>
Special Uses

Edible Parts

*Properties *
Habit

Decid/Evergreen
Deciduous Evergreen
Height
0-10cm 10-50cm 50cm-1m 1m-5m 5m-10m 10m-50m 50m+
Width
0-10cm 10-50cm 50cm-1m 1m-5m 5m-10m 10m-50m 50m+
Hardiness PFAF UK
1 Arctic 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 tropical
Hardiness USDA
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Growth Rate
Fast Medium Slow
Soil
Light(sandy) Medium(Loam) Heavy Heavy Clay Poor Soil
pH
Very Acid Acid Neutral Base/Alkaline Very Alkaline Saline
Shade
Full Semi None
Moisture
Dry Soil Moist Soil Wet or Boggy Soil Water Plants Well-drained Tolerates
Drought
Wind
Tolerates Maritime Exposure Tolerates Strong Winds Not Wind Tolerant
Tolerates Pollution
Y N
Frost Tender
Y N
Flowering times and types
Month : Jan Feb Mar Apr May June July Aug
Sept Oct Nov Dec
Flower Type
Hermaphrodite Monoecious Dioecious Self-fertile
Pollinators

Other Options: *>* Download <http://www.pfaf.org/user/shop.aspx> the
database for use at home or get it sent on CD-ROM.
*>* Download <http://www.pfaf.org/user/Bibliography.pdf> the full Species
Database Bibliography (270 references).
*>* Help with these terms <http://www.pfaf.org/user/cmspage.aspx?pageid=76>

General Disclaimer To the best of our knowledge all the information
contained herein is accurate and true.

*However we cannot guarantee that everyone will react positively to all
edible plants or other plant uses.*

It is commonly known that many people suffer allergic reactions to
conventional foods and products. Even amongst the more commonly eaten
fruits, for example, there are plenty of instances where people react badly
to them:

- Many people are allergic to strawberries and will come out in a rash
if they eat them.
- Some people develop a rash if they touch the stems of parsnips.
- Potatoes become poisonous if they turn green.
- Eating large quantities of cabbage can adversely affect the thyroid
gland.

In general, we believe that the overall health of people will be greatly
improved by bringing more diversity into their diet and through using more
natural products.

We strongly recommend the following preventative precautions when trying
anything new:

- Make sure you have identified the plant correctly
- Try a small taste of anything new in your diet. If there are no side
effects increase the quantity at the next meal.
- When trying new soaps or skin applications try them on a very small
area before proceeding to larger areas of the body. Look for any
uncomfortable reactions or changes and if there is do not proceed with
further application.

No liability exists against Plants for a Future or any member of Plants for
a Future, nor can they be held responsible for any allergy, illness or
injurious effect that any person or animal may suffer as a result of
information in this catalogue or through using any of the plants mentioned
by Plants for a Future.
Plant Uses Edible Uses <http://www.pfaf.org/user/edibleuses.aspx>
Medicinal Uses <http://www.pfaf.org/user/MedicinalUses.aspx>
Other Plant uses <http://www.pfaf.org/user/OtherUses.aspx>
Woodland Gardening <http://www.pfaf.org/user/PlantUses.aspx?id=19>
Why Perennial Plants? <http://www.pfaf.org/user/cmspage.aspx?pageid=75>
Top Edible Plants <http://www.pfaf.org/user/PlantUses.aspx?id=146>
Top Medicinal Plants <http://www.pfaf.org/user/PlantUses.aspx?id=152>
Garden Design <http://www.pfaf.org/user/PlantUses.aspx?id=166>
Habitats <http://www.pfaf.org/user/Habitats.aspx>
Translations <http://www.pfaf.org/user/cmspage.aspx?pageid=124>

[image: Twiter] <https://twitter.com/PFAF_Tweets> [image: Facebook]
<https://www.facebook.com/plantsforafuture/>
Content Content Help <http://www.pfaf.org/user/cmspage.aspx?pageid=10>
Bookshop <http://www.pfaf.org/user/shop.aspx>
Support Us <http://www.pfaf.org/user/cmspage.aspx?pageid=69>
Blog <http://www.pfaf.org/user/Blogs.aspx>
Links <http://www.pfaf.org/user/links.aspx>
Old Database Search <http://www.pfaf.org/user/plantsearch.aspx>
Suppliers <http://www.pfaf.org/user/cmspage.aspx?pageid=120>
Contact <http://www.pfaf.org/user/Contact.aspx>
About Us <http://www.pfaf.org/user/AboutUs.aspx>
News <http://www.pfaf.org/user/cmspage.aspx?pageid=192>
Sign In <http://www.pfaf.org/user/Registration.aspx>
PFAF Newsletter

Stay informed about PFAFs progress,
challenges and hopes by signing up for
our free email newsletter. You will receive
a range of benefits including:
* Important announcements and news
* Exclusive content not on the website
* Updates on new information &
functionality of the website & database

We will not sell or share your email address.
You can unsubscribe at anytime.
All the information contained in these pages is Copyright
<http://www.pfaf.org/user/cmspage.aspx?pageid=136> (C) Plants For A Future,
1996-2012.
Plants For A Future is a charitable company limited by guarantee,
registered in England and Wales. Charity No. 1057719, Company No. 3204567,
Web Design & Management <http://www.pembertoncreative.com/>
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Some information
cannot be used for commercial reasons or be modified (but some can). Please
view the copyright <http://www.pfaf.org/user/cmspage.aspx?pageid=136> link
for more information.

  • [permaculture] PFAF ||| Plants For A Future, Lawrence London, 01/26/2017