permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] Re: SARE Systems Research Handbook: Innovative Solutions to Complex Challenges

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] Re: SARE Systems Research Handbook: Innovative Solutions to Complex Challenges
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 00:27:24 -0500

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 5:03 PM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]

Karl's review is attached:

A Step in the Right Direction: A Critical Review

Karl North

December, 2016

Systems Research for Agriculture: Innovative Solutions to Complex
Challenges, by

Laurie E. Drinkwater with Diana Friedman and Louise Buck. SARE Handbook
Series 13.

2016.

My qualifications as a reviewer are as follows. The authors invited
Elizabeth Henderson and me to submit

initial recommendations to the project as it got under way around ten years
ago. I became familiar with

Laurie's holistic view of science when she invited me to participant in a
graduate seminar devoted to a

critical review of the literature of sustainability assessment. I am a long
time student of systems ecology

and the systems thinking revolution in science and some of its methods,
which I have tried to apply in my

farm design and in teaching ecological agriculture at an undergraduate
level. As a governing council

member of NESARE I advocated reserving a significant part of NESARE funding
for farming systems

research, which the council resisted, then flirted with briefly, funding
two research projects. The authors of

this manual used one of these, an expansion of an organic dairy research
project at the University of New

Hampshire, as a case study in the manual. I created and currently teach an
online introductory course in

systems thinking.

review of systems research manual by Laurie Drinkwater et al.pdf

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura@gmail.com