permaculture - [permaculture] Healing Earth, a free, online environmental science textbook for upper level secondary school students

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: joao pedro goncalves <joaovox@gmail.com>
  • To: Colectivo de Educação em Permacultura <edu-permacultura-pt@googlegroups.com>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, europeanpermaculturenetwork <europeanpermaculturenetwork@googlegroups.com>, transicao-portugal <transicao-portugal@googlegroups.com>, cultivando <cultivando@googlegroups.com>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Healing Earth, a free, online environmental science textbook for upper level secondary school students
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 00:33:26 +0000

http://healingearth.ijep.net/

Welcome to Healing Earth, a free, online environmental science
textbook for upper level secondary school students, beginning college
students, and adult learners. We invite teachers around the world to
use this resource in their classrooms and share their experience with
us. Healing Earth is an ongoing project, so we hope that
everyone—teachers, young students, adult learners—will join us in
using and improving Healing Earth.

Healing Earth presents a unique approach to six major ecological
challenges of our time:

declining biodiversity
natural resource depletion
shift to renewable energy
water quality and availability
food quality and availability
global climate change

Unlike any other environmental science textbook, Healing Earth
presents an integrated, global, and living approach to the ecological
challenges we face on our extraordinary planet.

By integrated, we mean that the scientific knowledge presented in
Healing Earth is joined by ethical analysis, spiritual reflection, and
a call to action. The authors of Healing Earth consider this approach
critically important. We believe the wisest and most effective
response to Earth’s urgent ecological challenges will come from people
who are scientifically literate, ethically grounded, spiritually
aware, and motivated to act.
Ignatian Pedagogy

The adaptation of Ignatian Pedagogy used in Healing Earth.

By global, we not only mean that Healing Earth’s content, examples,
and lessons are drawn from different cultures and regions around the
world, but also that the users of Healing Earth will be members of
these diverse communities. More than at any other time in the past,
the range of today’s ecological challenges is planetary; thus, a
global approach toward environmental science is necessary.

By living, we mean that Healing Earth will be monitored daily for
content updates and postings on interactive forums. New knowledge
about the Earth and its natural systems increases daily, so we aim to
create an international network of teachers and students who are
willing to join us in keeping Healing Earth current and alive.

The overall goal of Healing Earth is to help all of us grow into
integral ecologists, people from every walk of life and region of the
world who dare to imagine a healed Earth and are willing to put their
hands, hearts, and minds to the task.

We sincerely hope that teachers will use this resource in their
classrooms, that it will draw young students closer to nature, and
that it will encourage fruitful discussions among adult learners
worldwide. We invite all of you to link your imagination with ours and
become members of the Healing Earth community.

Nancy C. Tuchman, Co-Director
International Jesuit Ecology Project
Loyola University Chicago

Michael J. Schuck, Co-Director
International Jesuit Ecology Project
Loyola University Chicago

  • [permaculture] Healing Earth, a free, online environmental science textbook for upper level secondary school students, joao pedro goncalves, 12/09/2016