permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Agroecology “Lite:” Cooptation and Resistance in the Global North

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Agroecology “Lite:” Cooptation and Resistance in the Global North
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 13:02:45 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Karl S North <knorth@binghamton.edu>
Date: Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 11:15 AM
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] Agroecology “Lite:” Cooptation and Resistance in
the Global North
To: sanet-mg@googlegroups.com

Kris,

Yes, please share. Thanks for asking.

I have seen agroecology scientific work in Mexico, Brazil and Cuba that is
far in advance of anything in the US. That is partly because in other
countries the scientific tradition is more likely to take a macroscopic,
systems view of phenomena that they study. In all applied sciences like
agriculture, that must mean taking seriously the fact that human society is
part of larger natural systems and must obey the laws of those systems -
the laws of energy and matter (known as the laws of thermodynamics) and
concepts like carrying capacity that govern the health and even survival of
all living systems. That means grounding all applied sciences in a
disciplined understanding of ecosystem science - how the ecosystems we live
in work as wholes. Just a few examples of a macroscopic approach are the
ways of doing science pioneered by Darwin, Odum, Marx and even political
economists of classical liberalism like and John Stuart Mill and Adam
Smith. Such holistic methods are now for generations embedded in
scientific tradition in other countries, but cherry-picked or avoided like
the plague in the US because sooner or later inquiry through any
macroscopic lens reveals flaws in capitalism that are fundamental because
they ignore how the world really works. Science has been corrupted
everywhere to a degree, but nothing like as bad as in the US.

Karl