permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in viticulture?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: joao pedro goncalves <joaovox@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in viticulture?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 16:33:50 +0100

Location:
latitude 40º N Portugal
At Chao Sobral hamlet and in similar hamlets at our mountain range (xist
steep landscape)
near the 2000 mt high granitic Estrela range in central Portugal.

Vines grow on the terrace retaining wall, thus soil depth is max.
Used to be supported by stakes sourced from nearby strawberry trees
(Arbutus unedo) or Castanea sativa.
Old stakes are used to cook at fire place or to fuel bread oven.
Salix pollared, cordyline australis or new zealand flax are commonly used
to tie after pruning.
Prunings are bundled, dry and fuel fire oven.

On these terraces grow summer flood irrigated crops like corn and potatoes
- are harvested in August-Sept-Oct.

Then follows a winter cover crop -sheep-goat pasture - of cereal rye,
usually cut for animal fodder in April-May at planting season - so, most
not going for cereal seed.

Grapes are harvested in late september, with friends and all generations
coming togetther.
Wine is ready to drink after the new year.

2 day fermented grape juice is mixed with distilled most/spirit
to make "jeropiga", we drink while roasting sweet chest nut
on a pine needles (pinus pinaster) light fire
at late November.
this fire is lit in front the chapel, after the faith duties on a sunday
afternoon.
it a community tradition, all ages together,
each brings whatever they like to eat and drink,
sometimes we play music and sing.

it happens year after year at around St. Martin's day

in the north they make green wine, pollared celtis autralis and maple trees
are used to support vines at great heights.

biodynamic farm in Portugal, poultry used to graze under vines:

https://www.facebook.com/quintadapalmirinha/#

Regards,

[permaculture] Permaculture in viticulture? *Scott Pittman* scott at
permaculture.org
<permaculture%40lists.ibiblio.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5Bpermaculture%5D%20Permaculture%20in%20viticulture%3F&In-Reply-To=%3CAD0BFAB3DECF4BB2AD9EB4CB43A558D0%40ScottPC%3E>
*Mon Apr 20 10:38:45 EDT 2015*

viticulture?
<https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/2015-April/045680.html>
<https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/2015-April/045682.html>

<https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/2015-April/date.html#45681>
[
thread ]

<https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/2015-April/thread.html#45681>
[
subject ]

<https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/2015-April/subject.html#45681>
[
author ]

<https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/2015-April/author.html#45681>

I read some years ago a text on viticulture in Portugal but I can't find my
book. What stood out for me was that the Portuguese farmer used pollarded
elm as support for the grape vines. The elm was supposed to have a
beneficial effect.

If I find the book I will post the title and author, but it was a very old
book and I don't want to get anyone's hopes up.

Scott P.

"To change something build a new model that makes the existing model
obsolete" Buckminster Fuller