permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Nobel laureates urge Greenpeace to stop opposing GMOs | Reuters

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "scrooge McDuck" <declan@planetmail.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Nobel laureates urge Greenpeace to stop opposing GMOs | Reuters
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 11:12:48 +0200

It would be laughable if it wasn't so tragic for the planet.

There was scientific consensus that the earth was flat; that you could never travel in a car  over 21 mph because the breath would be pushed out of your chest;  There was scientific consensus about Phlogistron; aether etc.

Here are a few other notable gaffes attributed to 'Respectable' people:
  • "The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty of messenger boys." -- Sir William Preece, chief engineer of the British Post Office, 1876.

  • "The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?" -- David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.

  • "While theoretically and technically television may be feasible, commercially and financially it is an impossibility." -- Lee DeForest, inventor.

  • "The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better than a 'C', the idea must be feasible." -- A Yale University management professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service. (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)

  • "Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?" -- H. M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.

  • "I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face and not Gary Cooper." -- Gary Cooper on his decision not to take the leading role in "Gone With the Wind."

  • "A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make." -- Response to Debbi Fields' idea of starting Mrs. Fields' Cookies.

  • "We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out." -- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

  • "Radio has no future. Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible. X-rays will prove to be a hoax." -- William Thomson, Lord Kelvin, British scientist, 1899.

Regards

Declasn Moriarty