permaculture - Re: [permagriculture] Plant list for the tropics + comment on gmo

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Georg Parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at>
  • To: permagriculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permagriculture] Plant list for the tropics + comment on gmo
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 18:02:31 +0200

> I found this on the Web somewhere and a forum infested with odious gmo
> industry whores.
>> <
>
> The list:
>
> *Trees and bushes:*
> Abiu 9
> Atis 1
> Avocado 10

I do not get what this list is trying to tell us? Please explain, Lawrence.

> "Nature has never put genes of bacteria, fish, animals, etc into plants.

This statement is simply not true.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not trying to advocate genetic modification by
humans, I do not think artificial GMOs are a good idea, the contrary. But
nontheless have I been gathering (from Lynn Margulis "Evolution"), that
cross-species and even cross-kingdom gene migration is actually quite common.
I even recall having read (do not remember sources, but it was more than
once), that even the human genome contains quite a big percentage of
bacterial genes.

You scientists on the list, please correct me or help me out!

Georg