permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Design Systems

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Koreen Brennan <koreenbrennan@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Design Systems
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 04:28:53 -0400

There are some great responses to Lion's question.

I would add (though maybe repeating or clarifying points already made):

1. Permaculture is not just about farming. Permaculture has had valuable
effects in many areas. It has influenced designers, builders, landscapers,
educators, financial people, community organizers, vision makers and even
policy makers and is used in those fields and more.

2. As Toby pointed out, agriculture is a hard nut to crack. I am setting
out to be a $100K farmer but I am crazy. Very few of my friends would even
think of making that leap, because it's just too hard. Because the deck is
extremely stacked against small farmers, with artificially low prices for
food, hard to get financing for small business and even harder for small
farmers, onorous regulations, and the list goes on and on and on. I had to
go way out of the box to get as far as I have and still maintain other
goals that I have. Though I'm crazy, others are more focused on easier nuts
to crack like urban gardening, food forests, etc.

3. I think the real power of permaculture lies in its ideas. Joel mentioned
the concept of paradigm shift a bit ago. This is what I've always seen as a
major value of permaculture. It is systems design, and it integrates
systems. This is a revolutionary concept in western society. And it changes
the entire way that we do everything. If people are brought to
understanding of how this actually works, their worldview changes and it's
hard to go back, because it makes so much sense. Thus, permaculture has
influenced many, many other fields and sectors and will continue to do so.
We're not necessarily going to know the influence it has had, because
someone who was exposed to permaculture may now be using "no till" farming,
working with the USDA program for it so not calling it permaculture, yet
they were inspired by that original exposure. These examples go on and on.
These alternative methods of agriculture are catching on, all over the
world. In some places, there are major movement occurring (with locavore
activism, farmer's rights in India, etc). Rather than count the numbers of
"permaculture farms", perhaps we should look at overall trends, and try to
determine how permaculture has influenced those trends. I see tremendous
influence in my region, from almost nothing to interest from policy makers,
in just a few years.

I will say, that there are permaculture supporters in Extension, ag depts
of universities and other areas formerly completely commandeered by
chemical ag. So that landscape is changing, and that is exciting. It's
going to get easier and already is in some areas. One could think of the
work we're doing now, to introduce the paradigm, as "building the soil"
before we plant the forest.

4. Let's talk about permaculture farms some more. Permaculture farms are
not just farms. They are an attempt to create entire systems that are
compatible with local bioregions and watersheds, use zero net energy,
incorporate community and fair share economics. This is quite a bit more
complicated than, say, raising hothouse tomatoes with minimum wage workers,
and takes quite a bit more energy, strategy, know-how and planning. Thus,
the question of how many $100K farms there are can be misleading. My farm,
for instance, will focus just as much on teaching others to farm, providing
the means to do so (seedlings, etc), and encouraging urban backyard farming
in particular (since we live in a region of 4 million people, mostly in
urban settings). Do I need to sell $100K of veggies in order to produce
$100K of veggies that will have even less of a footprint than they would if
I was growing them all myself? No - and if I only focused on growing my
own, I might end up producing far less local veggies. I do want to grow
$100K of food and I think I have a plan that will work. But I'm not going
to know until I try, and it is not going to be my only product. So when
looking at permaculture farms that aren't growing $100K of veggies, what
else are they growing? Paradigm shift, perhaps? :-) Community gardens
inspired and spawned miles from their farm? More farms with solar panels?
Watershed repair? Community building? etc. How valuable is that?

I can say with certainty that there are thousands of pounds of food being
grown in backyards in my region because of the work of local permies. This
food was not being produced before we started that work. If we're going to
count statistics, that should definitely be included.

5. None of this means that I think we can't do more. I most definitely
believe we can do more than we are doing, and one channel to achieve that
is more collaboration and cooperation. Thus, our farm is a group endeavor,
not just me and one or two other people. We'll get further, faster. Again,
it takes more planning and thinking through things, but we feel the
potential makes it well worth it.

I think we could use some strategy sessions at regional and higher levels.
I think we could benefit from linking up with activist orgs working on
issues dear to us. I think asking hard questions as you are doing Lion,
should be encouraged and we should allow ourselves to be pushed and
challenged as a result. I think we have a long way to go, and it's good to
both acknowledge the hard and fruitful work that has been done by many, and
continue to honestly look at what still needs to be done.

--
Koreen Brennan
http://www.growpermaculture.com