permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Design Systems

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Design Systems
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 12:34:53 -0700

It is a good question, Paul, and I think there are several layers of answers.

One is that farmers are incredibly conservative, with good reason, and won’t
make changes that risk failure until they are assured by multiple examples
that the new method is viable. So there’s a catch-22 for commercial farmers
to make the shift: who’s going to be the first or even third? But I have
observed that when a rancher or farmer implements a permaculture design—and
keyline is one of the most common examples—a couple of the neighbors see how
much more profitable the system is in the long run ( a former grazier
neighbor got a 30% premium for the animals he ran) and they make a limited
shift. But most of the neighbors regard the guy as crazy and won’t go near
it. It took organic about 40 years to enter the mainstream—in a world where
many old farmers had been organic--and that was only a relatively small shift
in technique, while permaculture requires many shifts, and an entire shift in
worldview. Much less likely.

Then there is the fact that to the average person, industrial farming and
commercial organic are working sort of okay, so why change. We don’t “need”
permaculture as far as the mainstream is concerned—food is cheap and
abundant—so there is no point in fixing what isn’t broken. Inertia is a huge
factor. Hell, we’re facing potential planetary extinction in the next
decades, and we’re doing nothing about it, so how can you expect a species
like that to give up industrial ag just because it kills a few birds, or
whatever?

Add to that the giant subsidies for commodity crops and conventional methods,
which creates a terrific economic disincentive to adopting a new system.
There’s both expense and risk; that’s deadly. The competition from Big Ag is
overwhelming. The food system is already stacked against small conventional
producers; add in the extra cost (the lack of externalization) of
permaculture design, and there’s little possibility of competing with it
except in special circumstances. People want cheap food, and most don’t care
how it is grown. So the market won’t support it and is rigged against it.

The food system is built by and for Big Ag, and the anti-organic,
anti-permaculture propaganda coming from USDA and Extension is overpowering.
I’ve been up against it, and many Extension agents are virulently
anti-permaculture. WSU Extension's Linda Chalker-Evans, gardendoctors.com is
a good example; her blog bashes permaculture repeatedly. So there is active,
well-financed opposition.

Then there are the people like Lion whom you would expect to be an
ally—aren’t we all aligned against Big Ag and business as usual?—who bash
permaculture. There are quite a few of those, throwing rocks at the friendly
people near them instead of uniting against a common and deadly enemy. This
is one of the stupidest things that our community could be doing, there’s a
lot of it, and it’s self-indulgent and very damaging. It’s a sickness that
the counterculture has and it delights and benefits the rich elites. We need
to stop doing it.

Permaculture is just beginning to pass beyond the phase where only
visionaries and malcontents can see its potential and the rationale for its
use. I expect it will become more widespread (and it is) as we continue into
climate disruption and energy descent. It has penetrated far more deeply into
the less-developed world than it has in the industrialized nations because
there is a need in that world, and little need, so far, for it in this one.

I don’t see farming as a potent leverage point for implementing permaculture
design. I think, as Joel does, now that we’ve figured out that you can design
anything using permaculture—which took about 30 years for us to grasp—that
the biggest implementations will be (and are now) in urban and social
permaculture. Those PDC grads aren’t designing many farms; there’s no market.
They are designing their own yards, their neighbors’ yards, and organizing
their communities, schools, and businesses along permaculture principles.
When Big Ag starts to crack under its self-induced strains, we’ll take that
one on. But probably not before. You don’t go up against your opponent where
they are strongest, and Big Ag has trillions. There are much smarter places
than farms for us to be working. That’s why there are a lot more permaculture
neighborhoods than there are permaculture farms.

That’s why people like Lion are missing the point when they fix on how many
tomatoes we are selling. It’s the wrong metric.

Toby
tobyhemenway.com

Just out: my new book on urban permaculture, The Permaculture City. Order it
at your favorite bookseller or get a signed copy from me at
http://tobyhemenway.com/book/the-permaculture-city/