permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Watering with city (chlorinated) water

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Watering with city (chlorinated) water
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 12:22:55 -0400

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Bob Waldrop <bob@bobwaldrop.net> wrote:

> What do we think about using chlorinated water from the city to water? A
> friend is getting into the compost tea business and came over and dowsed my
> urban property and he says he's concerned about the impact of chlorinated
> water on the fertile drenches he is spreading around. He wonders -- "First
> time they water after I've been here, do they destroy all I am trying to
> do?"
>
> Thoughts?

If city water has enough chlorine in it to destroy the active beneficial
microorganisms in good compost tea then what does that say about drinking
it and its effect on your body's beneficial intestinal microflora? I doubt
it would have much effect on active concentrated (AACT)
compost tea which at worst might have colony rebound once it is in good
biologically active, chemically clean soil. I was raised on chlorinated
city water and during childhood you could smell it coming out of the tap;
you get used to it, in swimming pools it was always enough to burn your
eyes, never paid it any mind.

I have created an @permaculture account at Ello (never again at farcebook,
linkdin or twittr) to interact with other Ello users, many from the
Continent, all very interesting and anyone else interested, hopefully some
from this list. Here are particulars:

@ellogreen <https://ello.co/ellogreen> @ecoponderosa
<https://ello.co/ecoponderosa> @avantgeared <https://ello.co/avantgeared>

Meet at @permaculture <https://ello.co/permaculture> to discuss, learn and
share anything permaculture.
Hope you'll visit and follow.

@permaculture <https://ello.co/permaculture>, The Ello Permasphere
-- portal to an expanding global network of landtech pioneers --
Permaculture is a design system which aims to create sustainable
human habitats by following nature's patterns; designing ecological land
use systems with integrated elements for synergy, sustainability,
regeneration and enhanced nature-compatible human habitat
= participate and contribute your thoughts and resources, things you like,
what you think permaculture is all about =
Lawrence London
@permaculture <https://ello.co/permaculture> * @ecoponderosa
<https://ello.co/ecoponderosa> * @avantgeard <https://ello.co/avantgeard>
@ecoponderosa <https://ello.co/ecoponderosa> lfljvenaura@gmail.com