permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] bananas, anyone?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] bananas, anyone?
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 03:38:46 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: West Hill Farm <info@westhillfarm.org>
Date: Thu, May 28, 2015 at 1:54 AM
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] bananas, anyone?
To: SANET-MG@lists.ifas.ufl.edu

The Western squeamishness over insects conveniently forgets that most
crustaceans (lobsters, crabs, prawns, langoustines) share many more
characteristics with insects than with fish. I, for one, am happier eating
a prawn than a grub from a log!

And probably the most acceptable way of using bugs as calorie generators
for western humans would be to grow them on inedible wastes (such as human
excreta, slaughterhouse wastes and fallen stock) then feed the insects to
poultry or pigs as a high protein soy replacement. Think the Black Soldier
Fly project mentioned later is along these lines - also see
MagMeal/MagOil/MagSoil from www.agriprotein.com

Susi

--
Chris and Susi Batstone West Hill Farm West Down Ilfracombe Devon EX34 8NF
Tel 01271 814328

---
protection is active.

Visit the SANET-MG archives at: http://lists.sare.org/archives/sanet-mg.html
.
Questions? Visit http://www.sare.org/about/sanetFAQ.htm.
For more information on grants and other resources available through the
SARE program, please visit http://www.sare.org.

This listserv is hosted with support from the Sustainable Agriculture
Research and Education (SARE) program, which is funded by the U.S.
Department of Agriculture- National Institute of Food and Agriculture
(USDA-NIFA). Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations
expressed within do not necessarily reflect the view of the SARE program or
the U.S. Department of Agriculture. USDA is an equal opportunity provider
and employer.

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com

  • [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] bananas, anyone?, Lawrence London, 05/28/2015