permaculture - [permaculture] Los Angeles Pine Ridge reservation event?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Koreen Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: "koreenbrennan@gmail.com" <koreenbrennan@gmail.com>, "koreen@growpermaculture.com" <koreen@growpermaculture.com>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Los Angeles Pine Ridge reservation event?
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 13:25:25 -0700 (PDT)

I'll be coming to Los Angeles from June 22-July 10 and would love to do a
fundraiser for Pine Ridge reservation natural build while there. We can do a
joint fundraiser for your project too, and combine energies/collaborate. More
fun that way! Would like to do this towards the end of the visit to give time
to promote and organize. Ideally we'd have a location where some musicians
can perform (I know of a few I could get there), etc.

This year we are focused on natural building. Oglala Lakota Cultural and
Economic Revitalization Initiative has a saw mill and sustainably harvests
trees; we are using repurposed materials wherever possible and keeping costs
very low. We want to complete:

Greenhouse: An earthbermed, passively heated greenhouse with 20,000 gallon
tank repurposed for aquaponics - this is a unique design tailored for the
harsh weather on the rez and using local resources, as a prototype that could
be used elsewhere
Multiuse building - We plan to finish a 56-72 foot multiuse building that
will include housing, classroom, heavy equipment berms, office, rocket stove
manufacture and more.
Miniature libraries - Pine Ridge has no public libraries! This is a travesty.
We will make some small book containers and install them across the
reservation. We have many books on permaculture, sustainability, natural
health, Lakota culture, etc, already donated. This is the first phase of a
longer term plan to increase availability of this material.
Beehives - We are assisting a Lakota to get a beekeeping business going.
Volunteer infrastructure - We will finish off some key infrastructure that
supports the volunteer living area.

These are all part of a larger plan with many integrated elements. We would
love to get all of these things done and funds are the main barrier currently
(we have volunteers, equipment, some of the resources - we need to cover
costs of things like tin roofs, etc).

Koreen Brennan

Permaculture Design and Consulting, Florida
Permaculture Design Courses - Tampa Bay and Costa Rica
Natural Building Pine Ridge Lakota Reservation
Edible Landscape Advanced Course
Financial Permaculture

www.growpermaculture.com
www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow