permaculture - [permaculture] Favorite Way to Edge Deep-Mulch Beds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Chris Carnevale <c.s.carnevale@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Favorite Way to Edge Deep-Mulch Beds
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 10:37:57 -0400

What is your preferred way of weeding the edge of deep-mulch beds so that creeping weeds, like grasses, stay out? Particulary during the beginning phase of a bed when the border plants are juvenile and don't fend for themselves quite as well.

I usually create beds with cardboard, soil, organic matter, etc. and give it a deep mulch. To give my border plants time to mature, I have been just using a good ol' hoe to keep grasses away, but it's fairly time intensive. Any ideas on alternative methods would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris Carnevale
Charleston, South Carolina